Job TitlePart-Time Security Officer- Nights and Weekends
DepartmentCampus Police & Public Safety
High school diploma or G.E.D. Valid NC Driver’s License. Must be at least 21 years of age.
Other Requirements: Must have a clean criminal history and no DUI. A thorough background investigation and reference check will be made before appointment. Moderate physical labor may be required on occasion and working outside in adverse weather conditions is common. Must be capable of walking up and down flights of stairs and walking for extended periods of time. Must be able to work variable hours, including weekends, holidays, and rotating shifts.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1.Evidence of strong interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and effective oral and written communication/public relation skills;
2.Personal integrity, honesty, and the ability to maintain confidentiality; and
3.Understanding of the mission, goals, and objectives of a community college
To provide the safety and welfare of students, faculty, and staff on the Durham Technical Community College Campus and to monitor, maintain and enforce college rules and regulations
1) Patrol campus property to provide for the safety and welfare of students, faculty, staff and their belongings;
2) Provide security to campus property including buildings, vehicles, equipment and land;
3) Enforce college rules and regulations pertaining to students, faculty, staff and visitors while on College property;
4) Prepare written reports such as daily logs and incident reports relating to security and safety matters;
5) Serve and assist students, faculty and staff whenever practicable to provide for their safety and welfare;
Additional duties shall include other appropriate activities as assigned by the appropriate Division Head and/or the President.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The physical and mental demands described as follows are representative of those that must be met by an employee in performing the essential functions of this job:
• Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to lift, at times, 10 lbs.
•Good eye/hand dexterity.
1. In addition to the standard office environment, the dispatcher / desk officer has:
2. Exposure to firearms.
3. Exposure to crowds.
4. Exposure to potentially violent or emotionally distraught persons.
5. Exposure to life-threatening situations.
6. Necessity for frequent sitting for extended periods of time.
7. Exposure to close contact with computer monitors.
Required Working HoursPart-time 20 – 29 hours / week. Weekend shift assignment; hours may vary; rotating 8-12 hour shifts; some weekday assignments; holidays.
Hiring Range$14 / hr
Job TypePart Time Staff
Open Until FilledYes
Durham Technical Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Durham Technical Community College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Durham Technical Community College expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Durham Technical Community College employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.