Intern for Beyond Basic ESL Program
English for Academic Purposes
Bachelor degree and TESOL certificate or enrolled in an MA in TESOL program or TESOL certificate program
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1.Evidence of strong interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and effective oral and written communication.
2.Expanding knowledge of pedagogy of second language acquisition.
3.Open to learning second language teaching methods.
5.Personal integrity, honesty, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
6.Understanding of the mission, goals, and objectives of a community college
The intern would need to follow the protocol as mandated by the mentor teacher as it relates to the function within the class.
1.Attend all classes that have been committed to, as assigned, for the full duration of scheduled instruction.
2. Follow suggestions, guidelines, and perimeters as indicated by mentor instructor.
3. Comply with institutional rules and regulations.
4. Assist instructor as needed.
5. For any class instruction time allotted, assume responsibility for classroom preparation in collaboration with mentor teacher so as to align with the goals, objectives, and outcomes of the specific class.
6. Before teaching, submit your lesson plan to the mentor teacher and make adjustments as suggested by the instructor.
• Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to lift, at times, 15-20 lbs.
• Good eye/hand dexterity.
Open Until Filled
Durham Technical Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Durham Technical Community College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Durham Technical Community College expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Durham Technical Community College employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.