Job TitleAdjunct, Geography
DepartmentArts, Sciences, & University Transfer
A master’s degree and at least 18 graduate semester hours in Geography.
Successful experience teaching at a university or community college
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Thorough understanding of and commitment to the mission and philosophy of the North Carolina Community College System
2. Demonstrated ability to use modern instructional technology (Microsoft Office, learning management systems, e-mail, Internet, student information databases, library research databases) and experience with Internet-based instruction
3. Competence in oral and written communication skills necessary for effective teaching
4. Ability to be organized, accurate, and punctual with paperwork and assigned tasks
5. Sensitivity to the needs and expectations of students, colleagues, and community groups
6. Ability to make presentations to small or large audiences
7. Ability to establish and maintain effective, civil, and respectful communication and interpersonal relations throughout the college and the community
8. Personal integrity, honesty, and the ability to maintain confidentiality
9. Familiarity with OSHA standards as they apply to educational environments
The Adjunct Instructor is responsible for course preparation, delivery, grading, and records management. The Instructor will work closely with his or her Discipline Chair on matters related to and for the benefit of the ASUT department and its students. More specifically, and consistent with the terms and conditions of appointment as stipulated in the contract of employment.
The Adjunct Instructor is accountable for the duties listed below:
1. Teach all courses, as assigned, for the full duration of scheduled instruction
2. Be fully prepared with a syllabus and instructional plans for each class session in accord with the stated objectives of the course
3. Enforce academic policy and procedures at all times, and comply with institutional rules and regulations
4. Maintain complete course and student records, reports, and forms
5. Stay current with developments in the field of instruction
6. Assume other necessary responsibilities and perform additional tasks as assigned by the chair, department dean, chief instructional officer, or president, in meeting the needs of the department, division, and college
7. Assume responsibility for laboratory/classroom preparation, including maintenance and cleanup, and recommend, as necessary, appropriate laboratory supplies and equipment
Required Working HoursPublished meeting times, preparation, and grading for contracted courses
Job TypeAdjunct Faculty
Durham Technical Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Durham Technical Community College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Durham Technical Community College expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Durham Technical Community College employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.