Job TitlePart-Time Police Officer
DepartmentCampus Police & Public Safety
High school diploma or G.E.D; some college preferred. Must be at least 21 years of age. Valid NC Driver’s License. Current NC police certification or BLET certification preferred. Drug testing required of all finalists and psychological and medical exam required after conditional offer of employment. Hold current CPR/AED and basic first aid certification, or be able to obtain certification within six months of employment.
One-year experience in law enforcement profession, preferably on a college or university campus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Strong interpersonal skills, and effective oral and written communication/public relation skills;
2. Knowledge of the NC General Statutes, individual rights, search and seizure, and the methods, procedures and practices used in investigation;
3. Proven ability to act quickly and intelligently in an emergency situation;
4. Ability to carry out oral and written instructions;
5. Ability to perform general patrol (emergency response, medical, traffic and service) duties;
6. Understanding of crime prevention and community policing;
7. Ability to effectively use and maintain law enforcement equipment;
8. Ability to effectively perform telecommunications duties;
9. Personal integrity, honesty, and the ability to maintain confidentiality; and
10. Understanding of the mission, goals, and objectives of a community college.
1. Patrol campus property to provide for the safety and welfare of students and employees and their belongings;
2. Provide security to campus property including buildings, vehicles, equipment and land;
3. Enforce state and federal laws, local ordinances, and college rules and regulations pertaining to students, employees and visitors while on College property;
4. Detect and deter crimes, respond to complaints, recognize situations quickly and objectively and determine the appropriate actions when assigned;
5. Enforce traffic laws, assist motorists, direct traffic flows when needed, investigate traffic crashes;
6. Perform initial investigations and follow up investigations into criminal activity;
7. Testify in court of law as to findings in criminal investigations;
8. Prepare written reports and incident reports relating to criminal incidents, security and safety matters.
Additional duties shall include other appropriate activities as assigned by the appropriate Division Head and/or the President.
Physical Demands: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The physical and mental demands described as follows are representative of those that must be met by an employee in performing the essential functions of this job:
· Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time;
· Moderate physical labor may be required on occasion;
· Working outside in adverse weather conditions is common;
· Capable of walking up and down flights of stairs and walking for extended periods of time;
· Ability to lift, at times, 50+ lbs.
Required Working HoursVariable hours, including weekends, holidays, and rotating shifts.
Hiring Range$18.27 per hour
Job TypePart Time Staff
Open Until FilledYes
Durham Technical Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Durham Technical Community College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Durham Technical Community College expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Durham Technical Community College employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.