Mathematics Instructor - Tenure Track
Salary : See Position Description
Location : Bellingham, WA
Job Type : Tenure Track Faculty
Department : Instruction
Job Number : 2022-00012
Closing : 4/29/2022 5:00 PM Pacific
Per Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14, all state employees, including higher education must be fully vaccinated no later than October 18, 2021. Your vaccine status will be verified prior to final offer. Please reach out to the HR Office at email@example.com if you need information on a medical or religious accommodation.
Bellingham Technical College invites applications for one full-time, tenure track Mathematics Instructor. The position reports to the Interim Executive Dean of Instruction and is anticipated to begin in September 2022.
The teaching schedule will vary based on student and college needs and is expected to include instructional strategies that use in-person and e-Learning strategies and enhanced technology to deliver instruction by creating both blended and online courses. Instructors are responsible to plan, teach, and manage student learning.
Bellingham Technical College is committed to recruiting dedicated faculty and staff who together create a welcoming academic climate that reflects the diverse backgrounds of our community, including ethnicity, national origin, religion, race, gender, gender identity, age, status as a veteran or disabled veteran, disability, political status, and sexual orientation. The successful candidate will be expected to establish a successful and supportive learning environment for a diverse college student population with a wide-range of backgrounds and experiences.
Position Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach developmental through upper division college level mathematics and related courses to professional/technical and transfer students;
- Provide instruction using multiple modalities, including: face-to-face, online, hyflex, and hybrid;
- Participate in the development and/or revision of curriculum;
- Integrate and contextualize mathematics instruction for various professional/technical programs;
- Provide timely and accurate assessment feedback to students;
- Monitor and document student performance;
- Utilize campus resources to facilitate student success;
- Participate in professional development activities;
- Mentor associate (adjunct) faculty;
- Serve on campus-wide committees;
- Participate in campus events;
- Apply best practices in teaching methodology;
- Instruct courses in related disciplines based upon individual qualifications and expertise;
- Participate in year-end reporting and other data analysis activities;
- Regularly attend all faculty, division, and department meetings;
- Hold office hours;
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to Bellingham Technical College's Mission;
- Perform other program responsibilities as required.
Master's degree in Mathematics OR Master’s degree in Education, Teaching, or closely related STEM field with 24 quarter (16 semester) upper division credits in mathematics (300 level or higher) from a regionally accredited institution;
Two years full-time teaching experience in mathematics (high school or two-year or four-year accredited institution).
- Two years full-time teaching at the post-secondary level;
- Experience using current technology in mathematics teaching;
- Experience with course design and/or curriculum development;
- Experience or interest in working closely with instructors from various technical fields to contextualize instruction.
Additional Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Keep current on educational teaching methods and strategies and maintain subject matter expertise;
- Experience with multiple approaches to teaching and learning, such as incorporating a variety of technologies into the classroom, teaching online or hybrid classes, or using other innovative techniques;
- Proven classroom management skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and teambuilding skills;
- Work effectively in a participatory governance environment;
- Develop curriculum, including curriculum delivered via different instructional modalities;
- Develop and assess student learning outcomes;
- Work effectively with students, colleagues, staff and a community who represent a broad spectrum of ages, abilities, ethnicities, and educational, economic, and cultural backgrounds;
- Work closely with Accessibility Resources for students with accommodation needs;
- Maintain confidentiality of student records;
- Work independently and on a flexible schedule.
Base salary range is typically $59,114 to $73,980 for an applicant with minimal levels of teaching and education experience and is based on a typical teaching schedule of 10 months, September through June, 173 days. High end of range is $83,279 for those with previous related teaching experience and advanced educational degrees. Final placement on the salary schedule is determined according to the current collective bargaining agreement and is based on an evaluation of work, education and/or experience. This position is also eligible for a Washington State insurance and retirement benefits package. The schedule will vary based on student and college needs.
Other Employment Information:
Union: This position has been designated as a bargaining unit position represented by the Bellingham Educational Association (BEA).
Background Check: Prior to final hire, a pre-employment background, including criminal history and signed declaration statement as it pertains to sexual misconduct per Washington State Law (RCW 28B.112.080) will be conducted. Employment is contingent on passing the background check and signed declaration per RCW 28b.112.080 satisfactory to the college. Information from the background check and declaration will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position. This position has access to children under the age of 18 as part of the State of Washington Running Start Program.
Application Procedures and Deadline:
Required application materials must be submitted on-line at www.btc.edu/jobs and received by 5 p.m. on April 29, 2022, for priority consideration. Application materials received after this may be considered until the positions are filled. More information about Bellingham Technical College is at www.btc.edu or contact the Human Resources office at 360 752-8354. BTC is not currently sponsoring H-1B Visa's.
Required Online Application Materials: (Attachments in Word or PDF file only)
- Completed BTC Online Employment Application & Supplemental Questions;
- Attach a one-page cover letter addressed to Human Resources outlining your experience, skills and abilities as they relate to this position;
- Attach current resume or Vitae;
- Preferred: Submit unofficial transcripts documenting minimum educational requirement; (Official transcripts to verify qualifications and any degrees listed will be required upon hire, but not as part of the application materials to apply).
interviews are generally conducted via phone or video conferencing (Zoom. If you are asked to come to campus for in-person interviews, BTC social distancing protocols will be in place.
Preliminary interviews are scheduled to occur between May 23-June 1, 2022; Finalists will interview between June 9-10, 2022