Job TitleAdjunct Instructor, New Beginnings Orientation Workshop
DepartmentCollege and Career Readiness
Bachelor’s degree in instructional discipline, two years’ experience teaching disadvantaged students, interpersonal skills, experience in curriculum design, development and evaluation capabilities.
Two years of experience in teaching discipline or related field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Thorough understanding of and commitment to the mission and philosophy of the North Carolina Community College System;
2. Demonstrated understanding of national, regional, and local issues, policies, and trends related to adult literacy;
3. Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs and expectations of diverse populations of students requiring adult literacy programs and services provided by the college;
4. Competence in oral and written communication skills;
5. Competence in computer technologies, such as word processing, spreadsheets, presentation programs, and distance education technologies;
6. Sensitivity to the needs and expectations of students and colleagues; and
7. Ability to establish and maintain positive interpersonal relations throughout the college and the community.
In general, the work of the instructor includes scheduling, conducting, and monitoring Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) testing sessions of the College and Career Readiness (CCR) program. Selected candidate will be required to become knowledgeable of confidentiality policies, provide clear directions of materials and perform multiple tasks involved with test administration, enforce testing policy and procedures. Other responsibilities include verification of candidates’ eligibility and identity, determining which form of the examination to administer, and explaining the rules and regulations prior to examination.
1. Explore and implement strategies to improve intake experiences and transition processes for students moving into and through Gateway to College/High School Equivalency and ABE programs;
2. Maintain test records, logs, reports, and other documentation;
3. Prepare TABE test booklets with correct answer sheets before each test administration;
4. Conduct inventory and verification of the condition of all restricted testing materials at the beginning and end of each testing session;
5. Work with Colleagues to identify strengths and challenges to address within the CCR intake process;
6. Maintain complete office and student records, as needed; process reports, forms, and all other required paperwork in a timely, efficient manner, checking for the accuracy, correctness, and completeness of all data;
7. Assists with the registration of CCR program students;
8. Maintains professional competence in utilizing appropriate technology to support and enhance teaching and learning;
9. Conducts assigned classes in accordance with Durham Tech’s CCR course description outlines;
10. Formulates course syllabi and assists in the selection of other supporting material as appropriate for placement testing;
11. Gives students written course expectations, including the course objectives
12. Assist in setting and achieving departmental goals;
13. Recommend program needs for equipment, supplies, space, and other resources to support the unit, department, division, and goals;
14. Demonstrate flexibility and team approach in providing service in a courteous and professional manner;
15. Assume other appropriate duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Dean, Vice President or President in meeting the needs of the college;
The physical demands described as follows are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
· Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time;
· Ability to lift, at times, 10 lbs.; and
· Good eye/hand dexterity.
Required Working HoursThe New Beginnings Workshop Instructor is required to work a minimum of a 16-hour work week which may include day, evening, and/or weekend responsibilities and duties. Work duties and responsibilities may be at the college’s main campus, branch campuses,
Job TypeAdjunct Faculty