Job TitleAccounting Technician/Cashier
Associate Degree ( or higher) in Accounting, Business or related field or equivalent work experience
One year of related work experience is required.
Two year of office experience preferably which must include public contact.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Evidence of strong interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and effective oral and written communication/public relations skills.
- Problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to think creatively and put ideas into action.
- Business computer skills as evidenced by experience with at least one accounting or business application and competence with Microsoft Office products, including Excel and Word.
- Personal Integrity, honesty, and the ability to maintain confidentiality; and
- Understanding of the mission, goals, and objectives of a community college.
1. The Cashier’s primary responsibility is to accept payments from students and other customers and record transactions in the Colleague system. The Cashier is responsible for providing courteous and professional customer service while operating the Cashier’s Window.
2. Reconciles collections of cash, credit card, and check payments daily at the close of business.
3. Balances the daily deposit each morning, record the daily analysis report and give it to the director to approve it before it’s given to the accounts payable department for the bank deposit.
4. Reconciles the Café’s daily receipting of sales and receipt into Colleague.
5. Documents discrepancies and reports to the Director of Student Accounts.
6. Runs daily reporting and uploads for Nelnet (payment plans).
7. Maintains incoming check registry by updating check registry after receipting of checks and other documents when assigned, mailing documents that are not picked up by the designated time.
8. Receipts all payments from student records, continuing education, and any other departments collecting monies on a daily basis.
9. Checks outside resources daily for electronic deposits, direct deposit returns, and credit card chargebacks.
10. Processes refunds to students and/or sponsors when refunds are due.
11. Coordinates the transmittal of financial aid awards with AR and FA staff. Post Financial Aid awards to student AR files. Review, audit, and process AR vouchers for Financial Aid disbursements.
12. Corrects and resolves problems with Financial Aid processes.
13. Maintains spreadsheet information for scholarships received for students, receipts those funds, and forwards the information to the financial aid office.
14. Maintains a spreadsheet for the Library for student fees/fines, adding or removing the appropriate charges to the student account and any restrictions needed
15. Researches outstanding student refund checks not cashed, contacts students, and works with the staff accountant to re-issue if needed.
16. Creates and maintains debt set-off reports for collections including researching students’ accounts.
17. Collaborates with Student Information and Records to process rebilling and deregistration of students’ accounts as needed.
18. Performs invoicing of student employer and nonprofit sponsored accounts.
19. Answers routine payment and account questions, including direct deposit issues, from students and directs them to the appropriate office for questions outside of our area.
20. Supervises part-time cashier(s) giving them job duties to complete and scheduling them for the most opportune work times.
21. Maintains and creates documentation of all current and new AR policies and procedures.
22. Maintains all faxes associated with Account Receivables and the Account Receivables Outlook Mailbox.
23. Other administrative duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The physical and mental demands described as follows are representative of those that must be met by an employee in performing the essential functions of this job:
• Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to lift, at times, 10 lbs.
• Good eye/hand dexterity.
Required Working HoursA minimum of a 40-hour work week as determined with the supervisor to allow the employee to fulfill the assigned duties and responsibilities, including occasional evening and weekend hours.
Hiring Range$34,000 - $43,000
Job TypeFull Time Staff
Open Until FilledNo